Friday 19 January 2018

Homework due Friday, 26th January

POETRY

Have a look at the following poems. One of them is a shape poem, one is a narrative poem and one is a haiku poem. Can you decide which is which?

TASK: 

Firstly, choose one of the poems and explain whether it is a narrative, shape or haiku poem. Give reasons for your answers. 

Next, describe any poetic techniques you have found in the poem. (Rhyme, repetition, rhythm, descriptive language, simile, metaphor, personification, onomatopoeia, alliteration).

Then, find another example of a narrative, shape or haiku poem, copy it or print it and bring it to school.



1)





2)                                       Beaches by Kaitlyn Guenther


Sand scatters the beach
Waves crash on the sandy shore
Blue water shimmers  




3)      The Broken-Legg’d Man by John Mackey Shaw

I saw the other day when I went shopping in the store
A man I hadn't ever, ever seen in there before,
A man whose leg was broken and who leaned upon a crutch-
I asked him very kindly if it hurt him very much.

"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.
I ran around behind him for I thought that I would see
The broken leg all bandaged up and bent back at the knee;
But I didn't see the leg at all, there wasn't any there,

So I asked him very kindly if he had it hid somewhere.
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.
"Then where," I asked him, "is it? Did a tiger bite it off?
Or did you get your foot wet when you had a nasty cough?

Did someone jump down on your leg when it was very new?
Or did you simply cut it off because you wanted to?"
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.
"What was it then?" I asked him, and this is what he said:

"I crossed a busy crossing when the traffic light was red;
A big red car came whizzing by and knocked me off my feet."
"Of course you looked both ways," I said, "before you crossed the street."
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.

"They rushed me to the hospital right quickly," he went on,
"And when I woke in nice clean sheets I saw my leg was gone;
That's why you see me walking now on nothing but a crutch."
"I'm glad," said I, "you told me, and I thank you very much!"
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.


14 comments:

  1. Yash
    ----
    1. The ghost poem is a shape poem. The shape poem always in the shape of thing they describe. Here they describing about ghost so it is in a shape of a ghost.

    2. Beaches poem is a haiku poem. A haiku poem is a poem which is very short like a Japanese poem.

    3. Broken legged man is a narrative poem. A narrative poem does not have any rhyme but it is like a story and there is a character and a narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaches by Kaitlyn Gunter is a Haiku poem. I know this because Haiku poems are usually three lines long and are about nature. The first line consists of five syllables, the second line has seven syllables and the third line has five syllables.
    The poetic techniques found in the haiku poem are alliteration and descriptive language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poem number one is a shape poem. The poem is about ghosts and the words are written in the shape of a ghost. The poetic techniques I have identified are: repetition, descriptive language, personification and alliteration. The word “glide” is repeated twice, once in each sentence. Descriptive language is used in describing the grass as golden. Alliteration is used throughout the poem, there are 19 words in the poem and 11 of them start with “g”. Personification is also used with the ghosts being given the human characteristic of giggling.

    By Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have picked the shape one because it is in ghost shape and i like ghost shape poems, i like the my best colour white.It also has a interesting fact what is Ghost glide across the golden grass gathering goblins grabbing grasshoppers. They wriggle as they glide above the ground. If you look you can see a simily that is why i chose it,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poem number 1)

    The poem is a shape poem, because it is written in a shape.I see alliteration in the words ghosts,glide,golden,grass,gathering,goblins,grabbing,grasshoppers,giggle,glide and ground.



    ReplyDelete
  6. pick a shape and some alliteration to make it and write the poem and some rhymes

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1)I think number 3(Broken-Legg’d man) is a narrative poem because it is telling the poem. Also, a non-narrative poem would be like you inside the poem or just a relaxing poem. So, this is a narrative because it is saying ‘said, asked and went’ which is all past tense.
    2) It has got rhymes like see knee, off cough, said red, feet street, on gone and crutch much.
    The poet used the words ‘not at all ‘several times in the poem. So, the poet has used repetition.
    There is also onomatopoeia like ‘knocked me off my feet and car came whizzing by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fat bee stings me,
    It hurts very badly but,
    I do not cry though.

    The bee flies quickly.
    It turns around and stings me.
    Then falls to the ground.

    Ladybugs are red,
    And have black spots on their wings.
    Experts at flying.

    Ladybugs are red,
    And have black spots on their wings.
    Experts at flying.
    This is my example.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) Ghosts-is a shape poem.
    2) Beaches-is a Haiku poem.
    3) The broken-legg’d man-is a narrative poem.

    Beaches is a haiku poem because it has 3 lines in total and the first line has 5 syllables second has 7 and last has 5. This poem has alliteration.

    Example of haiku poem :

    An ocean voyage.
    As waves break over the bow,
    The sea welcomes me.



    ReplyDelete
  10. I chose the ghost poem because it is written on what looks like a ghost's head. There is alliteration like ghost, glide, ground, giggle, gathering, goblins, grass, grabbing and grasshoppers. There are no rhymes but there is descriptive language. I like ghosts that's why I chose this poem. Also I like the shape.

    By Jasmeet

    ReplyDelete
  11. 19.01.18

    Shape Poem

    This Shape poem is a poem that is written within a shape of a ghost. I chose the shape poem because I like shapes. The writing is also not boring as normal writing. There are a lot of alliterations and this poem has a rhythm of words starting with the letter G.

    My - Haiku Poem
    The lightning flashes,
    It slashes through the darkness.
    An electric show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've picked number 1 because it is written in a creepy shape. I see some alliteration in the words golden ,glide ,
    ghost ,grass ,gathering ,goblins ,grabbing ,grasshopper ,
    giggle and ground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Broken Legg'd Man is a narrative poem, because...
    1. the poem tells a us a story about a person whose legs are broken and how it happened.
    2. The poem consists of rhymes and has repeated accent.
    3. The Poem has a character.

    The Poetic technique found in this poem are rhymes, rhythm and the language to describe the events with the character.

    Another example of a narrative poem is

    'Today I learnt to clean my room, to use a bucket, brush and room, to dust my study table and picture frames and to pick up all my toys and games'

    ReplyDelete

  14. The Ghost poem is a shape poem because it is in the shape of ghost. The haiku poem is in three lines whre the first line has 5 syllable, second line has 7 syllable and third line has 5 syllable. The broken legged man is a narrative poem because it is describing a story

    ReplyDelete