Friday 28 April 2017

Homework due Friday, 5th May

POETRY

Have a look at the following poems. One of them is a shape poem, one is a narrative poem and one is a haiku poem. Can you decide which is which?

TASK: 

Firstly, choose one of the poems and explain whether it is a narrative, shape or haiku poem. Give reasons for your answers. 

Next, describe any poetic techniques you have found in the poem. (Rhyme, repetition, rhythm, descriptive language, simile, metaphor, personification, onomatopoeia, alliteration).

Then, find another example of a narrative, shape or haiku poem, copy it or print it and bring it to school.

1)



2)                                                        Beaches by Kaitlyn Guenther


Sand scatters the beach
Waves crash on the sandy shore
Blue water shimmers 




3)                                        The Broken-Legg’d Man by John Mackey Shaw

  

 
 
I saw the other day when I went shopping in the store
A man I hadn't ever, ever seen in there before,
A man whose leg was broken and who leaned upon a crutch-
I asked him very kindly if it hurt him very much.

"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.
I ran around behind him for I thought that I would see
The broken leg all bandaged up and bent back at the knee;
But I didn't see the leg at all, there wasn't any there,

So I asked him very kindly if he had it hid somewhere.
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.
"Then where," I asked him, "is it? Did a tiger bite it off?
Or did you get your foot wet when you had a nasty cough?

Did someone jump down on your leg when it was very new?
Or did you simply cut it off because you wanted to?"
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.
"What was it then?" I asked him, and this is what he said:

"I crossed a busy crossing when the traffic light was red;
A big red car came whizzing by and knocked me off my feet."
"Of course you looked both ways," I said, "before you crossed the street."
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.

"They rushed me to the hospital right quickly," he went on,
"And when I woke in nice clean sheets I saw my leg was gone;
That's why you see me walking now on nothing but a crutch."
"I'm glad," said I, "you told me, and I thank you very much!"
"Not at all!" said the broken-legg'd man.


19 comments:

  1. The Haiku poem is Beaches by Kaitlyn Guenther because Haiku Means an epigrammatic three lined Japanese verse.
    The narrative poem is the broken legg'd man by Jhon Mackey Shaw because narrative means an act,occurrence or a event presented in writing drama or cinemas.
    The shape poem is the ghost poem because instead of the words straight in a line they are all wiggly and wobbly.


    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a example of a Haiku poem:
    Mom watched over me,
    She helped me and took care of me,
    I love her the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem Ghosts is a shape poem

    1 A shape poem has the words written in the illustration of the thing it is describing.Example if we are describing a volcano it would be shaped like a volcano.

    I found alliteration in this poem
    example ghosts,glide

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught my cat to clean my room,
    To use a brush,to use a broom,
    To dust my clock and picture frames
    and pick up all my toys and games.

    This is a form of narrative poetry.I like it because it is funny and nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for finding what type of poetry the poem is

      Delete
    2. Well done for finding what type of poetry the poem is

      Delete
  5. poem number 2 is a is a haiku is a traditional form of a Japanese poetry. haiku poems consist 3 lines. The first and last lines of a haiku have 5 syllables and the middle line has 7 syllables. the lines do not rhyme.

    poem number 3 is a narrative poem because narrative poetry is a form of poetry that tells us a story,often making the voices of a narrator and characters as well;the entire story is usually written in metered verse. narrative poems do not follow the rhythmic patterns.

    poem number 1 is a shape poem because the background is shaped like a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beaches by Kaitlyn Guenther

    Sand scatters the beach
    Waves crash on the sandy shore
    Blue water shimmers

    This is a haiku poem because:
    1. It has 3 lines.
    2. It has 5 syllables in the first line.
    3. It has 7 syllables in the second line.
    4. It has 5 syllables in the 3rd line.

    The techniques used in the poem are:
    1. Onomatopoeia like "Crash"
    2. Alliteration like "Sandy shore", "Sand scatters".

    Here is an example of a haiku poem

    Beans

    Beans are kind to hearts.
    I like to eat them daily.
    And then do big farts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chose ''The Broken-Legg'd Man''. Its a narrative poem a form of poetry that talls a story.
    NARRATIVE POEM:
    -it may or may not rhyme,
    -it could be short or long,
    -it has a beginning,middle and end,
    -there is a narrator,characters and plot.

    Ifound in the poem rhymes,repetition and onomatopoeia.
    The rythm in this poem is slow.
    Rhymes are AABB sheme.
    The repetitionis at the end of each verse ''Not at all'' said the broken-legg'd man.''
    Onomatapoeia is''...car came whizzing...''.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Broken-Legg’d Man by John Mackey Shaw is an example of a narrative poem because it told a story. Repetition is used in the poem as the man always answers "not at all!" as well as descriptive language.

    MY NARRATIVE POEM:
    I had a pet dog,
    it was called fog,
    it made lunch,
    washed dishes,
    made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am grateful for that first day we met.
    For having a heart unafraid to break,
    for having someone, I’ll never forget
    for loving you more each day as I wake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ghost poem is a shape poem.
    beaches poem is haiku poem.
    the broken legg'd man poem is an narrative poem.

    1 choose the ghost poem : its a shape poem because its about ghost and shaped as a ghost too.

    in this poem, the writer used rhyme, simile, onomatopoeia and alliteration.
    by habib.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Task 1


    Beaches by Kaitlyn Guenther

    Sand scatters the beach

    Waves crash on the sandy shore

    Blue water shimmers

    This is a haiku poem because it has 3 lines. A haiku poem has 5 syllables on the first line 7 on the second and 5 on the third.

    Task 2
    Ghost
    glide across the
    golden grass gathering
    goblins and grabbing
    grass hopers
    They giggle as they glide
    above
    The ground
    This poem has amazing alliteration and I love alliteration.



    Task 3

    A Winter poem
    winter solitude
    in a world of one colour
    the sound of the wind.

    That was a Haiku poem

    ReplyDelete
  12. Number 1 task
    The first poem is a shape poem that describes an object and it has the shape of the object described.
    In our poetry the shape and the description is about ghosts, which are very beautiful described with a lot of alliteration, pleasant rhythm and a lot of g 's.


    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.The Broken-Legg’d Man is a narrative poem because it tells a story. There are 2 people and that there is a first person narrator. This poem is about a broken-legg’d man who told the narrator how he broke his leg.
    2.In this poem there is descriptive language [‘a big red car came whizzing by and knocked me off my feet.’]. I chose this sentence because it shows the car’s size, colour, noun, verb and what happened. There is also rhyme [store and before] and repetition [‘Not at all!’ and broken legg’d man.]
    3.I have chosen Attacked by a BANANA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ghost glides across the golden grass gathering goblins and grabbing grasshoppers.

    This is a shape poem because:
    1)The poem was describing a ghost and was in the shape of a ghost.
    2)A shape poem can be written on anything just like in this poem.

    The technique used in this poem is:
    Lots and lots of alliteration.

    Her's an example of a shape poem:

    Oliver the octopus.

    Oliver the octopus
    Underneath the sea
    Swimming very slowly
    Looking for his tea
    Makes a little bubble
    Gives a little grin
    "Hi there, fishes!
    Come on in"

    ReplyDelete
  15. the 3rd one is a haiku poem which is a Japanes poem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. and I love the good work every body.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haiku is a traditional form of Japanese poetry. Haiku poems consist of 3 lines. The first and last lines of a Haiku have 5 syllables and the middle line has 7 syllables. The lines rarely rhyme.
    Here is a example of a haiku poem!

    northern lights

    Bright lights fill my eyes
    colours dancing in the sky
    miracle of earth.

    ReplyDelete